Certificate in Teaching
Location: AU Seattle
Credits for Degree: 53 quarter credits
Standard Mode of Instruction: Classroom
Standard time to completion: 12 months
The Alternate Route to Teacher Certification (ARTC) program works to prepare paraeducators - as well as other classified staff and employees with conditional or emergency certifications – to become reflective, community-oriented teachers. The ARTC program allows candidates to remain in their positions while preparing for the Washington State Residency teaching certificate with an Elementary Education endorsement. All participants will either complete the English Language Learners (ELL) or Library Media endorsement and will have the option to take one additional quarter in order to earn their Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT).
ARTC emphasizes justice-oriented pedagogy, student-centered learning, and innovative program design. Candidates learn to:
- Plan and implement curriculum that meets the needs of a variety of learners
- Teach in diverse classroom settings - with particular attention to meeting the needs of the Kent community
- Manage the material and human dynamics of the classroom
- Nurture the holistic development of all students
- Integrate technology across content areas
- Reflect on one’s role as a teacher
- Communicate effectively with students, colleagues, parents and community members
- Assume leadership roles to advocate for children
The ARTC program begins with a summer intensive during the first quarter of the program. Candidates complete their student teaching and continue their coursework during the second, third and fourth quarters of the program. In quarter five, candidates have the option to complete a culminating master’s project.
Completion Requirements for Certification and Degree
- Completion of the Elementary Education course requirements and maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress
- English Language Learner coursework is incorporated into the program and will require candidates to pass the appropriate content exam by the end of the fourth quarter of the program.
- Successful completion of student teaching, and evidence-based demonstration of meeting the Washington State effective teaching standards
Upon successful completion of student teaching and all requirements, candidates qualify for recommendation for a Washington State Residency teaching certificate.
In addition to fulfilling the general admission requirements of Antioch University Seattle, ARTC applicants must have:
- A Bachel or of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree
- Letter of Interest/Admissions Essay
- Structured admissions interview
- The following admissions exams are required by April 2023 for the summer 2023 cohort: Submitted WEST-B score, passing score on the NES Elementary Education exam
Current Tuition and Fees
University Tuition and Fees